To Follow Jesus
My notes on Every Day with Jesus, written by Selwyn Hughes; revised and updated by Mick Brooks, published by CWR.
March/April 2016 Issue – Straight from the Heart, ‘I have you in my heart … all of you share God’s grace with me’ Philippians 1:7
The text set for today’s reading and meditation (I’ve added verse 14):
Philippians 3:15 (NIVUK): ”All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.”
In today’s study, Selwyn presents us with a useful summary of the scripture (Chapter 3 of Philippians) that we have been looking at, in the form of six characteristics of a person who has a mature view of things.
The six characteristics are:
- “An unwavering commitment of knowing Jesus Christ.
- A realistic appraisal of our own progress.
- An unsentimental attitude to the past.
- An undiminished desire for God.
- An undistracted focus on the things that really matter so that we do fewer things better.
- An unabashed tendency to be forward looking. (Paul’s eyes were always on the coming day and coming Saviour, on the end, the prize, the goal. He was not anchored to the past, but drawn irresistibly onwards by the magnet of God’s future.)”
Selwyn ends by saying: “Reflect how on these six characteristics at the same time asking yourself: How mature am I? If you are like me you will probably say: ‘There’s room for improvement.’ But press on: don’t stop now.”
If you are concerned about your level of maturity, I encourage you to meditate on today’s prayer: “Father, may I become a more mature person. Help me to see that spiritual development is not so much my responsibility as my response to Your ability. Enable me to grow. In Jesus; name. Amen.”
It has been a nice autumn day here, went to my local church and listened to a good sermon based on Acts 1:6-11, which covers the ascension of Jesus. Not only do we have a resurrected Jesus, we have our Lord who has ascended into heaven, and Who will return when His work has been completed. Can’t wait for that day!